Coaching High Pressing Tactics & Sessions Against Different Formations
Finally, the first-ever book to provide you with a step-by-step tactical analysis of Pep Guardiola’s High Pressing Tactics (126 Tactical Examples), so you can implement his relentless high-pressing style
Learn how Manchester City uses its innovative pressing tactics and strategic positional play to dominate against various systems of play (4-3-3, 4-2-3-1, 4-4-2, 4-3-1-2, 3-4-3, and 3-4-1-2).
“We have to press the opponents all over the pitch. The best way to defend is to attack.”
In this book, you can:
- Learn how to implement Pep Guardiola’s high-pressing tactical approach
- Learn the positional discipline and strategic positional play required to produce a relentless pressing game
- Learn the specific roles and responsibilities needed to ensure your players know when and where to press with coordinated movements
- Coach your forwards, midfielders and even defenders to aggressively closing down opponents
- Coach your players to position themselves to restrict passing options and set up traps
- Produce a high-intensity pressing game to disrupt the opposition’s build-up play
126 Tactical Examples against different formations are used to create 10 Sessions (33 Practices), which you can implement into your training.
Pep Guardiola and Manchester City’s High Pressing Philosophy:
- Apply intense pressure on the ball carrier and create a wide shadow behind
- Identify specific moments or triggers to initiate the press
- Close down space rapidly, narrow passing lanes and limit passing options
- Force the opposition into making mistakes or playing long balls
- Win possession quickly and launch counter attacks!
Learn and Coach Pep Guardiola’s relentless pressing game against different formations to dominate your opponents
Tactical Analysis and Training Session Topics Examples:
- Retaining a Compact Formation at the Back
- Defensive Line’s Movement in Relation to the Game Situation
- Principles Applied when Defending Near the Ball Area
- Pressing High Against Formations with 3 Defenders
- Pressing High Up to the Goalkeeper Against Formations with 4 Defenders
Athanasios Terzis is a UEFA ‘A’ Licence Coach and Football Tactics Expert. Each tactical situation in the book has analysis of Pep Guardiola’s Manchester City tactics and is followed by a full training session to help you adapt the tactics into your training sessions for your team.
- Compact Defending and Decision Making for Chain Reactions in Functional Game Situations
- Pressing High Up to the GK Against 4 Defenders in a High Tempo 3 Team Functional Practice
- Defending and Pressing Near the Ball in a 3 Team Pressing Game with Central Receiving Zone
- Defensive Decision Making when Pressing High on the Attacking Midfielder’s Side in a Conditioned Game
- Pressing High Up to the GK with Focus on Chain Reaction for Pass to Full Back in a Conditioned Game